I haven't blogged in a few months, but how my husband loves our daughter just keeps coming to mind. I want to write down these things so I can remember...insert "pregnancy brain." Also, I thought it'd be good to write some things down so that when she's a teen & parents are not cool anymore, maybe she can look back at how he loved/loves her.
I am not sure where to begin, but from the beginning of their relationship, that is. It started a little over 3 years ago when she was in his 4 y.o. old Sunday school class. She knew him as "Mr. Sweet" then & she thought it was so cool that he had the same last name as her! She always liked to be around him & was so sad when he visited his family for 3 weeks that year. She didn't know that's where he was. She thought he'd moved away & she was thinking of everyone who might have his phone #. She wanted me to call everyone to find out his # so that we could ask him where he had gone.
And so it begins.....he came back to KY in the New Year & she was so excited. It wasn't too long after that our relationship began.....
We talked to her lots about our relationship & how we were hoping to get married. We told her then that once we were married, she didn't have to call him Mr. Sweet anymore. We asked her what she thought she may want to call him & it was always "Mr....this, or Mr....that." But about 2 weeks before we married, she decided to call him "Daddy."
Since then, so much has happened, but I think one of the greatest things is how God united us w/ Daddy. HE really has blossomed their relationship & grown them both. It's really cool to see. Does this mean that it's all been easy?? Please, don't hear me saying that things are always perfect. It just isn't possible on this side of heaven. I just see how they interact with one another. ....how he lovingly comes along side and teaches her, disciplines her, takes her on dates to Skyline (her fave), how he gets just as excited w/ her when she accomplishes something, and how he is being grown by raising a little girl. In return, she responds to his teaching (sometimes w/ resistance...little sinner, ha!), respects him, still loves him after the discipline, and gets so excited to tell him when she does accomplish something (probably because of the anticipated reaction that he will have), likes to go to work w/ him on side plumbing jobs (& even wants to wear similar attire w/ tools & all)....and she lets everyone know that HER DADDY is a plumber if they need help. I also love how he prays for her & teaches her how to do this. I love how he teaches her about dressing modestly & her response to it also. After all, I'm a woman & I don't see things the same as a man. Like Pastor Pete said, "He knows what's 'hot'." (as a man) I love that my hubby can take this lead & show her what is ok & what's not. Women really just don't see things the same! And I don't want boys/men looking at our little lady that way.
Now we're into a new school year & he does her daily bible lessons w/ her. So cute to see them snuggle up, read the Word & pray together.
Yes, I just gloated on my husband. I think he's pretty cool! Most of all, I love that he loves the Lord & I know that without this, it'd be impossible for him to be so good at stepping into his daddy role. So when he messes up, he does apologize to her & asks for forgivesness. Not only that, but she reciprocates, thanks to his teaching!! Love them both!
Love this post! I remember those early days when u guys were dating. Seems like so long ago. How thankful I am that God chose to put you all in one family.
ReplyDelete